Put to the Question

Answer or go on the Rack!

Monday, March 10, 2008

#1 - 400 Years

Although there will be previous posts on this site, they compromise other Questions that have been asked in various branches of the Institute. As far as Put to the Question goes, this is the very first. So feel special.


Background- Watching New Amsterdam, I learned that the main character has been alive 400 years. He has loved, and fathered progeny, all of whom over the course of time have died.

The Question - If you were given the power, would you choose to live another 400 years? The understanding would be that you

Would not Age from where you are now
(People who might have made the choice 400 years ago....)

To me the answer is so obvious it's not even worth thinking about: Yes! Of course I would do it, and I would bargain for more if I could. However, the first two people I asked this question to, my mother and Kaida, both unequivicably said NO WAY! My mom's reasoning was that as women, they are more emotionally invested in people, and would take the losses too hard. I say Bah, and subscribe it to short-sighted thinking.

(400 years from now?)


Hey, I'd miss family and friends too, but whatever the pain, it has to pale in comparison to the opportunity to live that long, to affect this world. Of course, there could be risks. I could end up in prison for 397 years getting gang-raped by the Sisters, but that's a chance I'd be willing to take.

So then, what say you? Would you take the offer of 400 years without aging or dying?


Answer the Question or you'll be PUT TO THE QUESTION!


Hyperion, 9:38 AM

5 Comments:

The answer is unequivocally yes. I'd spend lots of years making money, then spend the rest of the time frittering it away and traveling. You could probably see the entire world several times over. Read every major work ever written, learn to speak every language. So exciting!
Anonymous Anonymous, at March 10, 2008 at 10:45 AM  
Without a doubt--YES! What a treat to witness the changes all the while knowing you have ample time to enjoy them and those that follow!

Can I go back and remain a younger age? Or do I have to hit the pause button now?

In either case, I'd do it.
Anonymous Anonymous, at March 10, 2008 at 4:19 PM  
Hell yeah I would!

Wait...

No, I definitely would not.

Err...

This question is too hard. I need more time to think about it.
Anonymous Anonymous, at March 10, 2008 at 5:02 PM  
Ach, it's a hard one. I think yes. Although it would tend to make a curmudgeon out of me, since I'd expect everyone I care about to vanish while I'm left carrying on. Relationships make life worthwhile, so it would require constant cultivating.

I'd take a behind-the-scenes government job or something (if politics didn't piss me off so much).
Anonymous Anonymous, at March 10, 2008 at 9:36 PM  
The fact that everyone around me is aging and I am not is a no brainer of a no for me
Blogger Sparky Duck, at March 11, 2008 at 10:12 PM  

Add a comment